How to Conquer the School-Gate Catwalk

Stylish mummies are, I discover, building whole blogs around the outfits they wear on the school run. I am entranced by this idea. If we all put up photos of our early morning selves, we could trade invaluable fashion tips which would make the daily chore of outshining the other parents so much more companionable.

To start the ball rolling, and with the help of two small photographers, I've kept a picture log of the past week. Feel free to borrow any style tips for your own dawn journeys, so long as you credit this blog (a Post-it note pinned to a lapel would do the trick.)

Monday



The drought, as you can see, is still going strong. Underneath this waterproof coat (£30 from Harpers Bazaar surplus store in Malvern) I'm wearing a £2,250 Prada sheath dress and a rope of Swaroski diamonds. Please note the wellingtons. They're not any old wellingtons - they're Hunters and they cost me £64. The mud splashes were extra. Five mothers screamed over them when I first wore them to school. They are, therefore, a great passport to social glory, especially if coupled with a shiny quilted jacket from the Barbour Gold Label Glamour range (my elderly waxed Barbour has been disqualified by my daughter).
Total cost of outfit: £6,315.21p plus £64 for the Hunters.

Tuesday




Oh dear, raining again! But as you can see I've subtly varied the style today by removing the hairband. I've also changed my vest.
Total cost of outfit: see Monday.

Wednesday



There is a momentary respite from the rain as we leave the house, but the Met Office is pessimistic and so am I. I have opened the coat today, though, in a salute to spring and underneath you can see my denim slim-fit jeans (M&S £22), Boden summer top (£35 - a bit steep for 100 % viscose I thought, but Johnnie Boden can sell me anything) and a long-sleeve white T-shirt from Primark (£1.99).
Total cost of outfit, including coat: £88.99 plus £64 for the Hunters.

Thursday



The sun is finally shining, although I'm taking no chances on my footwear. Could I draw your attention again to the Hunter label. £64 I paid for that! I like this picture because it was taken by a very small person and gives me an unaccustomed stature. The sleeveless top, which drapes nicely over my post-natal ripples, is from Age UK (£2.50), and worn over that Primark T-shirt which I rescued from the laundry basket. The corduroy boot-cuts are from Oxfam (£3.50).  The coat was bought in the Next 2007 winter sale (around £35). Possibly still available from vintage stores. 
Total cost of outfit: £42.99 plus £64 for the Hunters.

Friday


Schools in parts of the country have apparently had to ask parents not to arrive at morning drop-off in their pyjamas. But worry not, on Friday the Vicar takes the children to school so today's outfit will only be seen by the postman and the Worldwide Web. The White Company dressing gown was an unwanted Christmas present received by my mother eight years ago and passed to me. It's the sort of dressing gown you find hanging on bathroom doors in the sort of hotels that put After Dinner mints on your pillow, so it would probably invite quite a lot of awe at the school gate. I wouldn't generally recommend white, though, because you have to put it through a hot cycle every couple of years and that thick towelling is a right bummer to dry!
Total cost of outfit: White Company dressing gowns cost around £60. The fleece-lined bootee slippers were a present from the Vicar so it would be rude to ask. 

What do you wear to school? Share your style tips here or post a photo on your blog and paste the link in my comments box. One day I'll learn about linkys...

Comments

  1. I dare not, in case I ruin my Daily Mail image. Ahem.

    But I am glad that my feet are small so I can buy children's Hunters. They are much cheaper than adult ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How big do kids' Hunters get? Maybe I could have done that too!

      Delete
    2. I think they go up to size 5. Now you can have a silver pair too!

      Delete
  2. Luckily the teenage boy can take himself to school, otherwise I would probably be driving him in my pj's, especially since he leaves at 4:30 a.m. - rowing before school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a look you've got going on. Have you worked out the PPW of your Hunters yet?
    (That's Pay Per Wear to you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've worn them every day since I bought them about two months ago and shall probably wear them every day for the rest of their natural life which Hunter assured me should be at least 15 years. I should jolly well hope so anyway, 'cos they cost me £64, don't you know!!

      Delete
  4. Huh. Moo is not yet of school age so I have many years in which to perfect my look. Of course, in the future, we'll all be wearing silver foil catsuits and space goggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the look you described yesterday would cause an effortless impact. Always make the most of your natural assets.

      Delete
  5. I usually do the (pre) school run in my gym kit. I know special mickey taking is reserved in newspaper features about that type of mother but hey I wear trainers and comfy clothes so personally I think I win.

    Fleece lined slippers are the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's your gym work-outs that enable you to be so dedicated to biscuits!

      Delete
  6. I'm fairly sure you could hide your PJ's under the rain coat to be honest and no one will be any the wiser!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With that rain coat I could go completely naked and noone would be any wiser! But that's a tip worth bearing in mind, so thanks.

      Delete
  7. Have you tried the Hunters with the robe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I haven't. Wouldn't want to wear them out by schlepping them round the house all day. They cost me £64, you see!

      Delete
  8. What happened to the rock chick look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered when someone would ask that. How do you know my Prada sheath dress wasn't leopard-spotted?!

      Delete
  9. Brilliant .... love how you started the week in Swaroski diamonds and ended it in a white dressing gown. Entropy at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am getting Hunters now. They are on my birthday and Christmas list (can be combined gift!). Tried on a friend's. Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you get the waterproof ones for when you want to go stream paddling and mud wading. Some of them are for high street exhibitionism only which is an immoral corruption of a wellie!

      Delete
  11. Who new rubber was so versatile ? You wear it well though, and as Billy Connolly once sang "if it wasnae for yer wellies, where would you be"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought I had much in common with Billy Connolly, but on the subject of rubber we are as one!

      Delete
  12. please come and live in my village - everyone wears wellies, Hunters or otherwise.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly make my daughter happy. She refused to pose for most of the above pictures for she is so mortified by my attire which does rather stand out from the manicured school crowd!

      Delete
  13. Well now the sun's come out their must be an entire new look to showcase? Can't wait for the next installment ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to wait until I've dug my summer clothes bags from under the bed and located the iron!

      Delete
  14. Great post! Made me smile! Although I think that it would have been better if you had worn your hunters on Friday too. Hunters and dressing gown! That would have been the winner!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to wear my Hunters out, see, by wearing them round the house too often. That's why I've stopped wearing them in the shower. Because they were VERY expensive and must last me!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. You should have a pair as part of your professional wardrobe. They'd be a radio sensation. Mine were £64, mind!

      Delete
  16. brilliant post! I suddenly realised that I tend to put something on at the beginning of the week and wear it every day because it's on the chair in my bedroom (underwear and teeshirt changed daily). I wonder if the staff at nursery have commented on it amongs themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very similar. I dislike fumbling with hangers. You need to get a coat like mine so that noone notices.

      Delete
  17. Am impressed! It's mostly tracksuits hereabouts...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post inspired me to write a Guide on Surviving the School Gates! In a far less chic and stylish way!! You're mentioned and here's the link if you'd like to check it out. http://gertiesdictums.blogspot.fr/2012/06/gertie-school-gate-saga.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hardcore Living

The Various Uses of Rubber

Driving Parents Round the Bend